Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Well....hello there!

Spring.....no scratch that, SUMMER has finally arrived!  And with all this wonderful weather a new arrival seems to have adopted our family.

About a week ago Mr M and I noticed a dog that had just "appeared" at the vacant house next door to us.  It was very timid and took off like a light whenever anyone tried to approach.  A slight woof as a warning as it tucked tail and boogied off somewhere.  We noticed that it hung around this house no matter how many times it went and hide from us.

Well we warned the kids about the dog and under no condition were they to try and pet/play with the "puppy".  A neighbor and I put feelers out thinking that maybe she was just lost and waiting for his/her owner to return.  But we both had concerns that the owner would not be returning for it.  No one we asked had recognized it or remembered seeing anyone with it.  My neighbor called the shelters, made a craigslist listing, and called a local call in radio show in attempts to locate its' owner. I employed my zoom lens and caught a few pictures of it.  Then made fliers and called local vets hoping that one of them would recognize her/him.  All of our efforts have been absolutely fruitless.


Evidently it had had enough of our pestering and just gave in.  Sunday brought a break thru with this skittish critter.  After returning from church our nervous friend kept edging toward the kids and I.  So being a protective mother hen I sent the kiddos indoors.  Still nervous to anyone approaching I sat myself down and waited for it to get the courage up and approach me.  Took about 40 min. but trust was finally built up between us. She belly crawled up to me and immediately rolled over.  She has not left my side since.

Daisy Mae

She has shown no aggressiveness around food, the kids and with only an occasional woof at passing pedestrians.   She is just a really sweet and loving dog. We are still trying to locate her owners but may consider keeping her if we fail to. Oh and the kids have taken to calling her  DAISY MAE

Til next time

1 comment:

  1. Great post Teresa. I wish I could have used this picture, I'm going to go back and work on it. I like that you have your watermark or copyright on it. Diane

    ReplyDelete