Saturday, June 11, 2011

Happy failures.....

It's absolutely gorgeous!
     You captured them perfectly.
            I wouldn't change a thing!

Those words are what drive photographers to capture pure moments that define who our clients are and what they represent.  It is a euphoric experience every single time we hear our clients gush about the images we captured.

With that said, let me tell you that sessions do not always go as planned.  We have our off days too.  Cranky kids, shy introverted adults, families that are stiff and awkward from the moment the camera comes out. Bad weather, lack of inspiration.....really the list can really get long REALLY fast. So what's a girl to do when you just got nothing?  From some of my worst  most challenging sessions have come some of my treasured memories.  I am gonna share a few gems of these with you all today.


 First up is my own dear son. After we moved to Sheridan I was artistically lost.  The outdoors is my studio so I had to scope out the joint before I could even consider finding clients. We FINALLY had a nice over cast day that were just perfect for taking some shots. So this is where my littlest man comes into the picture. I got him dressed and out we went to the places I thought had potential.  I was totally stoked.  I was going to get back in the saddle and get the ball rolling again.
 I probably should have asked him if he was up to it first    : ) Hind sight is 20/20 as they say.  But if I had I wouldn't have captured these.  Now while I wont be hanging this in my home anytime soon (well....maybe) they DO capture the spirit of my lil Imp.


Next up is the bad weather category.  Specifically group shots during a Tornado Watch.  Why not just reschedule you ask?  Well this particular group was a band of guys who all had day jobs and rescheduling would have been a nightmare!  SO out we went humidity, wind and well crummy weather be darned.  This was a wild bunch of guys.  Just an absolute joy to be around.  But trying to get them in any specific pose.....FORGET IT!  They were so animated and funny I could just follow them around and capture them being the big goofs they are.


Families can be a challenge.  Especially when young children are involved.  You must be quick and have a plan.  But even when you have a plan the session is at the mercy of the youngest member.  Before I left MinnesotaI had an chance to photograph my pastors' small intimate family.  His wife was a part of my MOPS group and a very dear friend.  I had taken their sons' photos before so I didn't for see any hiccups. HA HA HA! Live and learn.  He decided that he was just not going to sit at all. Where as in his previous session that was all he would do.  He if had cooperated whose to say if I would have "found" these treasured moments.


This whole session I worried about if I had any shots that they would like.  But I have never been one to back down from a challenge, so once I got back to the office I got to work.  Let me just say that photo editing is just as important a tool to setting moods as setting up the shot before you snap it. With a few tweaks I was able to create an familial intimacy to the session despite having taken these shots right in the middle of town.

So were these photos failures?  At the time I may have thought so.  But they envelope certain successes that have helped me grow into the photographer I am today.  And I could be nothing other than grateful for these happy failures.  They are priceless in their own right.  What happy failures have you had?

2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh! I'm not professional but some of my best pictures have been accidental. These pictures of your son are so cute. He has such a sweet face!(even with his finger in his nose!)Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it makes a mom proud! I am so glad he is the way he is. He makes me laugh every single day. I praise God every night that he saw fit to make me his mother.

    ReplyDelete