Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Beautiful Butterflies!

Last fall I was witness to one of natures wonders.  The Great Monarch Migration!

Last September I had finished getting my kids onto the bus and was sitting down to enjoy my morning cup of joe when I noticed my Elm trees looked a bit odd.  It appeared that they were losing there leaves.  But they were not falling the right way.  So I walked out my back door and wandered over to have a look.  About halfway there I realized just what I was witnessing.

 I slowly turned not wanting to disturb them and scrambled back to the house to grab my camera.  I was so excited I had never experienced anything like this outside of enclosed butterfly garden at the Minnesota State Zoo. They were everywhere!  I must have had over 300 of these guys and gals resting and refreshing themselves in my trees and grass.  At one time I had them in my hair and all over my arms and legs.  For over an hour I was in a wonderland.  To soon they had warmed up and were on to the next lag of their trip.  And within a minute my yard was totally devoid of butterflies. 

WOOOOOOOW!  It took my breath away!
 Every year these beautiful creatures make a 2500 mile migration.  Taking the same path to the same exact trees down in Mexico.

The miracle of this journey is that it takes 14 generations to make the trip!  How in the world do they know the exact way to go?  It confounds me and makes me smile all at the same time.


For more info on these natural miracles go check out these sites

http://www.monarch-butterfly.com/



http://www.monarchbutterflyusa.com/Migration.htm

Master Monarch
Butterfly leaves

2 comments:

  1. I'm SO jealous!! No, not really. I just wish I could have witnessed such an incredible thing. I always wanted to see this somewhere. You're so fortunate. Thanks so much for sharing this. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane there are actually Monarch migration trackers on some of the sites I visited. So keeping tabs on when they will be in our area is easier to find out. There is nothing like feeling these guys climb all over you. It was so surreal.

    ReplyDelete