Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Behind the HomeSpun Motto

A lot of you have seen or read my studio's motto "Making today's moments...Into tomorrow's memories".  Few know the story behind it.

I am a stay at home mom of four very different and unique children ranging in age from 10 to 4 1/2.  Two boys and two girls.  Luckily for the girls they have two brothers, one younger and one older, to watch out for them. (Although they may not always appreciate it.)  My eldest is where my motto stems from.

20 months
Mr M. and I had been trying for over two years and suffered two miscarriages before our eldest came along. I held my breath until that magical three month mark came along.  And other than EXTREME morning sickness (I.V.'s were required) this pregnancy went just as all the books and magazines said it should.  And in late June I gave birth to a very healthy (8 lbs and 12 1/2 oz.) and normal (whats normal anyway) baby boy.

Everything was going along just swimmingly when we began to notice that he was just not keeping up with other boys his age.  At his pediatrician check ups I was told not to worry about it.  All kids mature at different rates.  This held small comfort as my son continued to not  meet those milestones.  He was also starting to "pull away" from being held.  His eye contact was falling off to the wayside. That maternal gut instinct told me something was not right despite what our doctor tried to tell us.

A priceless gem
In short I had him tested and a thought that had been nagging in the back of my mind was confirmed. As every new mother will tell you they think their child is the absolute most perfect child on the face of the earth. There are very few things that will dissuade them from that particular train of thought.  I was dealt such a hand. My  firstborn, my angel, my sweet baby boy  was autistic. Total BOMBSHELL!  I was in total shock.  And I still had to go home and explain it to Mr M who was at work and unable to come to his diagnosis meeting.  Mr M. did not react well with this.

There is a magical connection between men and their firstborn sons.  It is their greatest achievement in some ways.  Going all the way back to Cavemen days.  They have this "Look at what I have created" bravado and mentality.  My line is strong and will go on.  Hearing there was a defect in his progeny was a bit much for his ego to take.  And in response it took many years before he would even admit that our son was "autistic"

Easter 2003
  At the time they couldn't tell us the severity of his autism.  They needed to see how he progressed in the next few months.  He was then enrolled in an Early Childhood Special Education program at the age of 18 months.  He was eventually found to be in the high functioning category of autism. One in every 110 children is diagnosed with a form of Autism. (That is more cases than the people who ACTUALLY get the chicken pox!) He is among the many children being diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. He continues to struggle with it but is making leaps & strides toward what society precieves as "Normal".  To us he is who he always has been.  Priceless beyond measure. ( But I am his mother and to me he IS my perfect angel.  So you could say I am a bit biased on the subject.)

We learned early on to treasure the moments where he would actually let us snuggle with him.  Usually between fits of flaring temper tantrums and unresponsiveness. And it was HEAVEN when he would smile and laugh.  Occasionally I was able to capture these rare moments on film.  And while those pictures may not be the picture perfect studio portraits we all have hanging on our walls, they are more precious to me than any of the others are.


Interacting with his sibling brings me to tears some days
My quirky boy in his own lil world
He turns eleven this month.....sigh. : )



We just never know what life will bring us tomorrow.  Capture a moment TODAY and preserve the memory it WILL be for you TOMORROW!

2 comments:

  1. A very touching and beautiful post. These are gorgeous pictures of him and his sibs. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Diane. I wasnt sure of how to start this one and it took me forever. But once I did get started it just flowed. Most of my family aren't even aware that Mr M and I had suffered a miscarriage let alone two. The pictures in this post are most scanned pictures from back in the day of ACTUAL film photos. There were so many to choose from it got really difficult to choose which ones. In the end I chose some that showed his "connection" moments. As they were the most precious.

    ReplyDelete